Charles Scowen and Co. ~ Bell Flower, ca.1880's [Museum of Fine Arts, Boston]
Charles T. Scowen arrived in Ceylon in circa 1873. He was employed as an assistant to R. Edley, Commission Agent, Kandy circa 1874. Scowen opened a photographic studio in Trincomalee Street, Kandy by 1876. The firm had studios at 19 Queen Street, Colombo and Ward Street, Kandy by 1885. Charles T. Scowen was in Europe in 1885 and the firm was being run by C. Scowen. The Colombo studio moved to York Street, Fort, Colombo by 1891. The firm was being run by M. Scowen by 1893. The firm's stock of negatives was probably acquired by 'Colombo Apothecaries Co.' at some time in the 1890s. M. Scowen was recorded as a proprietary planter, Giddawa, Wattegama in 1914-15.
➜ John Ferguson Ceylon Almanac
Charles Scowen and Co. ~ Coffea Arabica, ca. 1880's